Thursday 11 December 2014

Me and communication skills? This tittle doesnt sound right, but...eh, why bother explaining?

I remembered there was once, when I was in high school,
a friend of mine asked - do you have any boyfriend?

at that time, having a relationship (lover, adik beradik angkat etc) was in trend
Biasa la budak2 baru nak naik,
and because of that, I, with no hesitation
answered "yes"
I used my cousin's name as my (fictitious) boyfriend.
.
.
.
.
.
so that I look like the cool kid =P

and that girl, had stop pestering me with relationship question...

I don't really understand her motive, nor do I understand mine. hahaha

back then during school time,
I was a bit shy, don't talk much (unless I am really confident in the topic, or when I was put in duty-- I was a prefect for 2 years)
my topic of discussion only expand with persons I am comfortable with
and my 'naughtiness' lol.... would show off when I am with my partner in crime. hahaha

I talked to boys but I don't remember talking with confidence of myself,
I remembered having the confidence because I was 'anak cikgu'...

it is impossible for a shy and reserve girl, to be in a relationship at that time
but I shamelessly claimed I have one. hahaha

things improved a little when I moved to a boarding school in Terendak
I remember having a lots of conversation with my batchmate (a lot means more than before. but among my batchmate, I'm just average - both in socializing and academic). Don't get me wrong, I do make friends here and there but I....

just average.

Because I don't have that many friends, I tends to 'cling' or hold closely onto my friends. I didn't notice about this until recently. well, that would be another story.

One thing that I really sure of myself at that time, I 'talk' more on the phone or in writing.
that's when i started having 'pen pal' and cyber friends

Then i entered university and my social skills improved (a little at time).
I feel comfortable talking with stranger during our orientation week because everyone else is as new as me. I feel the 'push factor' to speak up or else I would lost my direction (UiTM Segamat was really a very big university for me, at that time. Hence, the urge to ask around and know better).

Things get better during both my diploma and degree time + side job as cashier
I made new friends, communicate with more people and even have a good relationship with lecturers...

Although I improved, there was (and still is) one thing that i failed (I have the same problem once in awhile) is to understand and realize how cruel a real world could be.

I blame my lack of social skills and lots of novel reading =P
that's why I was easily being tricked into that year of doom (well, it does sound exaggerate a bit, but I have my reason).

reminiscing, it was a really bad year for me when i was made to believe there is a fairytale-love-story
where in reality, a fairytale love story is (if it ever exist) very rare.

A real man does not promise chocolate and flowers
they bring you chocolate and flowers*
(*I don't mean chocolate and flowers literally. it is a metaphor. kalau tak explain orang ingat I am easy with chocolate and flowers. lol)

Ok, back to the main point;
although, to some people, I look like a person who can easily adapt to new environment, I don't think I really am.
I do have confidence issue.
Everyday is and always will be a learning process for me.
Usually I will spend time to observe, before making any move.
Alhamdulillah, I can say I'm not that bad when mingle around with my colleagues here in H.
Next target is how to tackle the bosses. U see it right. Plural. *insert deep sigh*

Everytime I think of quitting my role as an auditor (and jump to other functions in finance), I think back on how much personal improvement I have achieved, how much 'force' I received to improve my social and communication skills. Thou it is not perfect (yet), an improvement is still improvement deserved to be recognized =)

Today is an improvement of yesterday, and tomorrow's is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiking Fuji 2019 for the first time

Assalamualaikum.... Post kali ni panjang sikit sebab aku malas nak buat banyak2 part. 31 Ogos yang lepas, aku dan 10 lagi line up be...